EASTER IS A TIME FOR REBIRTH AND WHERE IT COMES AFTER GOOD FRIDAY. MANY CATHOLICS AND CHRISTIANS WHO CELEBRATE THIS OCCASION AFTER A PERIOD OF PREPARING FOR A TIME OF CELEBRATION. WHILE WE ASSOCIATE EASTER WITH CHOCOLATE BUNNIES AND CHOCOLATE EGGS, THERE ARE INDEED MORE WAYS TO CELEBRATE THIS FESTIVE OCCASION.
So why is it called Easter?
Religious Studies Scholar Bruce Forbes summarizes that the trace of Easter celebrations goes back to the name of the pre-Christian goddess in England calles, Eostore celebrated at the front of spring. Only one reference from the writings of the Venerable Bede, who was a British monk that lived in the late seventh and early-eighth century.
Alright, so after a brief history lesson, every celebration can be celebrated as long as we know what it is about.
Here we present a full 3-course meal to delight your palate in
ROAST CHICKEN WITH CARAMELIZED LEMONS, OLIVES AND CHERRY TOMATOES
Add in any type of herbs that you like, I normally add some Rosemary and Italian herbs for my preference.
Roast for 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
HOT CROSS BUN BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
What you will need
- 6 chocolate hot cross buns
- 30g unsalted butter
- 125g chopped good-quality dark chocolate
- Vanilla essence
- 600ml thin cream
- Orange Zest from one orange
- 4 eggs
- 170g sugar
- 60ml brandy
- icing sugar to dust
- Split the hot cross buns and butter each half. Lay the bases in a baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped chocolate, then add the bun tops.
- In a low heat, stir in the cream, the zest and the vanilla essence or vanilla bean until just simmering. You do not want to burn this
- Beat the eggs, sugar and brandy until just combined. Remember to always stir because we do not want it to be burnt.
- Strain the custard over the buns and set the pudding aside for 30 minutes.
- Allow the custard to cool completely
- When ready to cook preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius
- Place the pudding dish in a large roasting pan and pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan so it acts like a water bath.
- Place in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Add some icing sugar and serve with extra cream if you wish too.
ALCOHOLIC WINE COCKTAILS
Carrot Mimosa Ingredients
- 4 oz Rosé Sparkling Wine
- 1 oz of fresh carrot juice
- Carrot to garnish
- If you prefer something with a little more oomph, you can always try
Mixed Berry Sangria Ingredients
- 88 ml Drambuie
- 30ml triple sec
- 1 cup white wine
- 30 ml orange juice
- 30 ml fresh lime juice
- 30 ml honey
- 2 cups frozen berries
- 10 dashes cherry bitters
- Blend all together until a puree and garnish any way you like it. We recommend a basil sprig.
- Before we leave you to prepare your celebrations for Easter, view some of the available wine choices for your celebrations suited for our celebrations.
BONUS: EASTER EGG ACTIVITY!
While we know that Easter Eggs can represent new life, who says we can’t add a little colour into our lives?
What you would need?
- White eggs
- Tumeric for the yellow eggs
- Frozen blueberries for the blue eggs
- Beets for the brown eggs
- Pomegranate or grape juice for the grey, blueish and red eggs
- White Vinegar
- Put eggs into a pot and cover with 1-inch of water
- Stir in 2 tbsp of white vinegar and the food ingredient for the desired colour. (I usually use 4 pots for 4 different colours)
- Bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce, simmer and cook for 15-30 minutes (Longer cook time allows for more toughness)
- Check to see if the eggs are the colours that you want
- Allow to cool
- Use paintbrushes to add a little design flair to it